Thursday, February 5, 2009

Best Chili Ever

I've been looking for the best chili recipe for a long time now. I've pored through various internet websites and cookbooks but I've never found "the one." About 2 years ago I thought I found it after combining a few recipes to come up with my own version. The one I made today puts it to shame, hands down. I've made this new chili a few times, the first time just throwing my whole pantry into it without any measurements or anything. Scott loved it so much he told me to try to remember everything I put into it, so I wrote all the ingredients down, with the approximate measurements I used. Then I re-made it according to my "recipe" and it turned out the same - mouth-watering and delicious, sweet, with a bit of a kick (not too big, I would't call it a spicy chili). To re-test the recipe I made it again today and I must say, I've created a chili masterpiece. Just thought I'd pass it along for all of you to enjoy yourselves.

Marissa’s Chili

1 lb ground beef (or turkey)
½ c. diced onions
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 28 oz can crushed (or diced) tomatoes
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 can black beans, drained
1 can Great Northern beans, drained
1- 4 oz can mild green chiles
1 ½ c. chicken broth
1 tsp beef boullion
½ tsp smoked paprika (regular ok too)
1 1/2 tsp cumin
3 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp oregano
1 1/2 tsp basil
1 bay leaf
2 Tbsp vinegar
1 Tbsp prepared mustard
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp molasses
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. BBQ sauce.

Brown beef together with onion and garlic in a large soup pot. Combine remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer on low 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally.

ENJOY!

2 comments:

miss k said...

Sounds good! I'm going to have to try it veggie style.

Irma said...

This sounds so good! I am very hungry right now and would love a bowl!