Last weekend I booked a condo with our timeshare up on the Olympic Peninsula for myself and a few of my girlfriends. Let me just say that girl weekends are absolute necessities for the soul (at least my less-than-saintly one that needs breaks from reality). I loved having 3 days of just being Marissa. Not a wife and not a mother. Yes, I missed my family when I talked to them on the phone and especially when I heard my sons' sweet voices telling me they loved me, but vacation isn't vacation unless you have something to vacation from.
Growing up I loved my vacations from school and relished the time to let my brain unwind from the rigors of my studies, but it wasn't until I became a mother that I realized how wonderful vacation could really be. No diapers to change, no noses to wipe, no ginormous diaper bags to schlep around, no tantrums to thwart, no picky eaters to cater to, no dropping everything to make sure a toddler gets their much-needed nap, etc. In short, nothing to do at all. And I have never appreciated it so much. Moreover, I have never appreciated my husband more than when he supported me and happily urged me to get away with my friends for a weekend. No guilt trips, no "ok, but you owe me later", nothing but love and support. I love my husband and I'm so lucky to be married to him!
So what did we do on this glorious girls weekend? Whatever we felt like doing at the time. We slept in, explored Port Townsend (really cute Victorian-style town), ate lunch at a local hangout, took naps, went swimming, played games, and of course, ate way too much! Even the weather was cooperative and we didn't get more than a sprinkle while we were there. A total rarity for this time of year anywhere in the northwest, but nothing short of a miracle on the Olympic Peninsula. I'm all for making this a new yearly tradition. :) And I was having so much fun I only took about 3 pictures. Sorry, they're not on this post, but I'll put them on Facebook with the rest of my January pictures soon.
5 comments:
So fun! I also believe that girl time is absolutely essential!
It was a great time!! Thanks so much for inviting me!
Having girlfriend time is like breathing fresh air...a must. Glaf you had a wonderful time.
Sounds like the most perfect vacation EVER! I'm going to see my parents tomorrow and that's about as close to a vacation as I'm going to have for awhile. I do get to sleep in and that is SOOOOO nice! It's time for someone to take care of me for a change!
I have a last-minute girls' trip coming up this weekend- with your Mommy! I too am so excited!!! :)
Post a Comment