I was blog hopping today and I read a post that seemed innocent enough, though when I noticed that there were 202 comments, I thought I might take a peek to see what all the fuss was about. The lady who writes this blog is Mormon (as am I) and I was just appalled at all the negativity and vitriol that was thrown at her for the way she related a story about her day. I don't like to get all religious on my blog, but some of these people's comments felt so hurtful and many of them were from so-called "Christians." Although I don't know how anyone could call themselves that after the attacks they threw out. Their words were not something you would ever hear coming out of Jesus' mouth. And though I had nothing to do with this blog and did not post a comment I felt personally attacked by these people's attitudes. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but it really hurt me to read these things.
Basically, I just want to get something off my chest. I am Mormon. I am a convert. I love my faith and I believe in its truth whole-heartedly. That being said, I have great respect for people of all faiths and I would never take it upon myself to criticize them or their own beloved religions. I have friends and family who are Catholic, Baptist, Presbyterian, Episcopalian, Evangelical, Non-denominational, Jewish and atheist. Each of them believe that their faith is the right one - and honestly, why would you go to any church unless you felt that way? I think it's important to remember that while the details of our doctines might be different, I believe anyone who is serious about their faith is trying to become a better person and make positive contributions to society. Does it really matter what way we go about it? And although athesits might not have faith in a higher being that doesn't mean they aren't still wonderful people. Jesus teaches that we should love everyone. He doesn't specify, impose limits or make conditions. We are to love everyone whether they are of our faith or not. I guess that's why I have such a hard time with people who call themselves Christians who are clearly not following the example the Savior set for us to follow.
Anyway, I just had to get that off my chest. I try hard to be a good person and live my life according to the gospel as I understand and believe it. I try hard not to judge others and to leave things in Heavenly Father's hands when I can't do it on my own. I don't want people telling me I'm going to hell because I believe something different from them. I can't imagine doing that to anyone else. I believe there are many things about God's church that we will never fully understand on this earth and all I have to say about that is that when I'm on the other side the mystries of heaven will be revealed and I'm not going to worry too much over them right now.
Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.
8 comments:
this is why i love you. you are such a good person. i will always have heart felt memories of teaching you and feeling of your love for God and for other people. you are a beautiful person marissa, inside and out.
Awesome post! I was just having this same conversation with a friend the other day. How quickly some "Christians" forget the 'love thy neighbor' and 'thou shall not judge' parts. There aren't any amendments there, it doesn't say a bit farther down "unless". I guess all you can do is pray that one day, they'll understand... sooner, rather than later.
You're so sweet Marrissa. CJane is in my ward and she's truly an awesome lady. She'll be able to take the comments cooly. But you're right. There are much more things we have in common than differences with people of other faiths/opinions and we need to focus on those and love one another. :)
I could not have said it better. And although I am your Mother and we are of different faiths, I respect your choices and trust your heart felt goodness for everyone and everybody no matter their beliefs. I love you and am proud to be your Mother.
Marissa....you are so right in that no one has the right to judge others except our heavenly father God. And we all should just remember that God loved us all so much that he sent his son Jesus to die on the cross for us! We Love You!!!
I agree! I find it interesting that so many people lay judgment based on religion and not personality. I couldn't care less what religion someone subscribes to as long as they treat themselves and others with respect.
I have never understood why people who read the bible get into verbal tussles. Maybe I'm naive, but everyone starts from the same beginning - they just have different endings. As long as someone isn't actively hurting someone else, why spread hate? And besides, what if somewhere along the line the story got a bit mixed up? What if God is not just one person.... maybe God is the essence that surrounds and envelops us all? That would mean that God is who and what you need at the moment and which might be different for each person. Maybe we shouldn't get caught up in the details of who and what God and Jesus were (are) but more of what they stood for which is compassion and respect.
I suppose I feel this way specifically because I don't follow an organized religion.
I find this world to be a much more interesting place because of the vast differences we have rather than the sameness.
I read this, and then went back and read the "post that started it all". I love the blogosphere; I love how it connects people, keeps me up to date on my friends and family, and serves as tiny windows into the worlds of so many I normally wouldn't see. HOWEVER
I am so, so, saddened sometimes by the way people feel a blog is an open forum for hate, critique, etc. It hurts my heart when a read a fab post by Dooce and it's followed with 12 comments about how her "new haircut makes you look like an ugly old troll" or how "your daughter dresses like a hobo". WHAT? Or how the amazing, incredible, self-less Matt Logelin (google him, AMAZING story) tells his readers he's finally "met someone" since the unexpected death of his young wife a few years ago and gets BLASTED with criticism for not "grieving enough"! I understand, as bloggers, we need to understand the freedom of speech, etc etc but SERIOUSLY!? If you disagree with someone or a topic so much X out the page, don't leave your mark with hate and resentment. Or take it to your OWN blog, but stop the hateful, hurtful comments on someone else's blog. Oh it gets me so aggravated... as you can probably tell from my tangent!
I'm sorry your faith was the target this time, and sadly enough, no topic, no standpoint, no view seems to be "safe" these days and it just makes me incredibly sad.
I am commenting on your blog "The need for tolerence and respect."
We are all God's children made in his image. People in this world can be so hurtful, and it's called freedom of speech. There is a difference though called RESPECT for others, and in this society there is lack of that.
I sincerely believe that we all have our own doctrine to worship God, and if you live as you worship it is a good example. Others are very criticial about anything that isn't their doctrine. We all know that deep in the depth of our hearts is where God lives.
I sincerely believe that attacking a particular religion isn't what God wants of us. In the Bible it says to love one another, and loving our brothers and sisters is of God.
Post a Comment