Monday, November 10, 2008

Anniversary Trip

Scott and I celebrated our 5 year anniversary this November. In some ways I can't believe we've been married for so long, and in other ways it seems like we just got married yesterday! It's crazy. Anyway, my parents graciously offered to watch our boys for us so we could take a little getaway together. We decided to head down to one of our timeshare resorts in southern Oregon called Running Y Ranch. It was a long drive but it was so pleasant and quiet compared to those long drives with the kiddoes in the backseat.



In all the excitement, I didn't realize until we woke up the first morning that I'd forgotten to bring shampoo/conditioner and a hairbrush with me. Fortunately Scott had a tiny bit of 2 in 1 with him, so I got to wash my hair, and borrowing from "The Little Mermaid" Scott brought me a fork and a pasta scooper (he actually referred to them as dinglehoppers, haha) to use until we could get to the store. I tried both and decided that the pasta scooper was actually moderately effective to sub for a brush.



When we got there there was tons of snow on the ground. It didn't last long, but we had fun playing in it for a while.

Running Y is famous for its golf course, so naturally we had to do that as well. The first day we went it was so foggy you could barely see the course, but the next day was much better. It was so beautiful!





The other fun thing we did was go ice skating. For those of you who don't know, I used to be a figure skater and competed in competitions and everything. I haven't skated really at all since I quit when I was in high school, but I figured it was kind of like riding a bike, so I'd be fine. Actually, it's not like riding a bike. I always hated skating in rental skates - they never have any ankle support and their blades are so dull you're slipping and sliding everywhere instead of having sharp blades that grip the ice. These ice skates were new, so it was the opposite effect. It was like skating in new shoes that haven't been broken in. There was NO give in the ankle, but strangely, the blades were still dull even though the boots were new. Go figure. Anyway, that, combined with my hurt ankle (yes, I hurt it again) and my lack of practice and the return to my ice skating glory days lasted until I stepped on the ice for the first time. I was humbled and realized how hard ice skating can be for the mere mortals. I always (secretly) looked down my nose at them, wondering what prevented those poor people from performing neat back crossovers and what could possibly be hard about performing a centered spin...... Unfortunately we didn't get any pictures of those excursions, but that's alright by me. :)

Thanks Andrea and Tim for joining us for the weekend. We had so much fun hanging out with you two!

7 comments:

Mieka said...

Wow 5 years! Congrats on the milestone :) Sounds like you had a fun trip. I loved the part about ice skating- so funny! "mere mortals" -haha

Irma said...

I am so glad you got to celebrate your anniversary sans kids. It was so wonderful having them with me and I miss them already; but I do not miss the early hour they were waking up. Also, at my age, I don't move the same as if I was in my twenties so I was really tired at the end of each day...but I would not trade it for the world.

Lisa said...

Happy Anniversary! It's hard to believe it's been 5 years (well, for you guys and almost for us). Time sure does fly, especially once the kids come around.

Hilary said...

My, that foggy golf picture is awesome! Dave'd be so jealous. It sounds like having time shares like that is a pretty good thing... looks like so much fun!

Anonymous said...

Wow you were and Ice skater. that is soooo cool. Happy 5 year anniversary. It sounds like you had a really fun celabration. I love the creative use of untensils.

Tim said...

Hey, how 'bout the madlibs! Boy that was fun!

Thanks for inviting Andrea and I. We had a great time. Love being a part of this family. See you this weekend....GO DUCKS!!!

Lauren said...

Alright, I'll be the first to say it- Marissa, you're hair looked pretty fabulous for using 2 in 1 and combing with a "dinglehopper"!!!!

I would look like Medusa on a bad hair day- seriously!