I love my honey dearly, but my goodness, he has a way with words. After our ice skating adventures last weekend I was feeling so out of my element - the basics of ice skating have never been even remotely difficult for me (now, mastering those double jumps is another story entirely...). But I got to thinking about it and I realized that it had been quite a while since I stopped skating. I was a freshman in high school and wanted to be more social (you'd be amazed at how much time ice skating takes up!) so I quit that and became a cheerleader instead.
Anyway, I was 14 when I quit skating. I'm now 28.... I told Scott that I didn't feel like I was old enough to have quit a sport that I was good at 14 years ago. 14 years is a LONG time. Right? Well, instead of co-miserating with me over how fast time flies, or how short life seems sometimes, he (obliviously) remarked: "Well, yeah, but that's because you're old now." WHAT?! I about died when those words came out of his mouth!
Yes, I understand that I'm closer to 30 than 20, even though I still feel like I'm 21. I understand that I graduated from high school 10 years ago and that I've been married and become a mother in the time since I graduated from college. Still, I feel young no matter what my age says or how many wedding anniversaries I celebrate or how many kids I have. I still feel young! When did 28 start falling into the "old" category? Anyway, it was hard to hear Scott tell me that I was old. He obviously didn't mean it in a bad way, but he's just a guy, so he says things without thinking about how they'll sound outside his head. He's always sticking his foot in his mouth that way. At least I didn't get compared to a brick outhouse like my father-in-law affectionately (and in all seriousness) did to my mother-in-law back when they were first married. Apparently it was meant to be the highest compliment. It's a standing family joke now, but now I understand where Scott gets his smooth talk from. Gotta love him! :)
Other classic Scott lines:
"Honey, you're so beautiful. On a scale of 1-10 you're a 9.5!" He honestly meant that as a compliment, but upon seeing the horrified look on my face he tried to back-pedal by saying that nobody is absolutely perfect so a 9.5 is as close as you can get. He thought he was paying me the highest compliment..... After a big discussion, he now always tells me I'm an 11 on that same scale. :)
"I love hugging you. There's so much to hug." We were dating when he said this to me, honestly trying to be romantic. Apparently what he meant was that he doesn't like super skinny girls (lucky for me who has always had a little extra padding) who feel like a sack of bones when you hug them and that I was just right. But since I couldn't read his mind (a skill I still have yet to master) I immediately thought he was trying to tell me I was fat, but in a nice way.
13 comments:
Wow Scott...I'm impressed. If those are the only two, and the most severe...you're probably a 9 on the good husband scale.
How funny. I think you just have to put up with the lovly things husbands say.
On my first date with Jacob I had told him about one of my friends proposals, and told him it didn't go very well. The next time we hung out he told my frind, "Man, I heard that your proposal was lame"! I was ready to die. I swore I was never going out with him again. Now we are married! Gotta love it.
Oh my gosh Marissa, those are just too funny! Dave says things like that all the time, too.
Here's an example:
I am not quite ready for maternity clothes yet, but I ordered some jeans and tops the other day because GAP maternity was having a sale and we had an additional online coupon. Anyway, they came in and I was unpacking all the goodies and took a look at the jeans. Seeing the large waist band, Dave said, "WHOA, those are like the 'before' jeans on the NutriSystem commercials." Needless to say, he tried to dig himself out of that one and wasn't really able to do that very successfully!
MEN!
I had to laugh when I read the one about hugging. I have heard that one in person, so it was replaying in my mind as I read it.
I think Seth's best one was when we were dating. He was talking about liking to look into my eyes (which are very dark brown). He said they were deep puddles of mud. I love him!
Hahahaha- great post Marissa! Oh the things people say... I wish I had a funny Don comment to add, but unfortunately, I am the one who always says the wrong thing :/
Oh, chuckles for that one.
Hahaha! That is a classic Gifford comment! Oh, I cracked up when I read that. Thank you for being patient and loving Marissa!
I love you both tons!
Krista
After 22 years of marriage I could fill a book with Peter's gaff's! Humor is very important in a relationship, otherwise your likely to clobber them on the head!
Old?!! 28 is NOT old. I'm 34 years young and having the absolute time of my life. Old only refers to spoiled milk and rotten bananas....
That was REALLY funny!
Haha, that was the funniest post. Aaron used to say the most awful things to me while we were dating, not even realizing it. I've trained him to be better!
Oh Marissa, I think your little brother received all the "foot in mouth" genes from your family!
Our all-time favorite:
While playing outside with our neighbors and the collective dogs, I wound up, pitched, and CHUCKED a tennis ball into a neighbors head ACCIDENTALLY of course. While everyone stood in stunned silence, Kiel YELLED out,
"HONEY! WHY'D YOU DO THAT?!?!?!"
We've yet to live that one down!!!
I know very few men who ever say the right thing... they just don't get it. I love the "9.5"!!
Post a Comment